This post will walk you through the process of completing, assembling, and filing your report of marriage (ROM) to the Philippine Embassy or Consulate in U.S.A.

Who needs to file for Report of Marriage (ROM) to the Philippine Embassy or Consulate in U.S.A?

Any Filipino who got married abroad and would like to register his/her marriage to the Philippines Statistics Authority in the Philippines.

Is it necessary to report your marriage contracted abroad?

Based on what I’ve read, it’s not unless you want to change your last name in your passport and other legal documents in the Philippines into your married name.

What are the requirements for filing ROM in U.S.A?

The requirements for filing ROM in the Philippine Consulate in the U.S. could vary, depending on the Consulate that exercises jurisdiction over the place to where you got married.

If you’re unsure which Philippine Consulate has jurisdiction to where you got married, you may want to check out this link.

Requirements for Filing ROM in the Philippine Consulate in San Francisco

The Philippine Consulate in San Francisco has jurisdiction over the following states:

  • Alaska
  • Colorado
  • Idaho
  • Montana
  • Northern California
  • Northern Nevada
  • Utah
  • Washington state
  • Wyoming

For these states, the following are the requirements for filing ROM:

  1. One (1) cover letter indicating your request to report your marriage and a list of documents included in your packet. Here’s a sample of it.
  2. Five (5) duly accomplished Report of Marriage forms. You can find it here.
  3. If you’re filing it after 1 year of marriage, you should also enclosed one (1) original and (4) photocopies of Affidavit of Delayed Registration of Marriage (here is the Affidavit of Delayed Registration of Marriage).
  4. Five (5) photocopies of the Marriage Certificate or Contract.
    • If one has been previously married, enclose one (1) certified true copy and five (5) photocopies of the divorce decree.
  5. Five (5) photocopies of birth certificate of the husband and wife.
  6. Five (5) photocopies of valid passport of both husband and wife.
    • For Filipino Nationals, additional requirements are needed to show proof of citizenship (e.g. photocopies of green card, K1 visa, etc.).

Additional Requirements When Sending It By Mail

If you’re sending it by mail, you have to enclose a processing fee of $25. This may be in the form of Money Order, Bank Draft, Certified Check, or Cashier’s Check made payable to the Philippine Consulate General.

Another requirement is a Self-Addressed Prepaid Mailing Envelope or a Self-Addressed Stamped Return Envelope.

Assembling and Sending Your Packet

When it comes to assembling the documents, I basically just place the cover letter on top of the other documents listed above. I used large paper clips to sort them and post-it note pads for labeling them.

As USPS is quite a drive from where we are, we opted to use UPS pick-up service. It costs us a bit more but if you’re looking for convenience of not going out of your house to send the packet, it’s worth it.

I send my ROM packet at this address:

Philippine Consulate General Attn: Civil Registry Section 447 Sutter Street, 6th Floor San Francisco, California 94108, U.S.A

I got a copy of my ROM within 2 weeks of sending my packet.

With it was a note saying I can request for an official copy online after 6 months of receipt. They can deliver your official PSA Report of Marriage copy in your U.S. address.

I hope this post helps you. If you have questions, please don’t hesitate to drop them in the comment section below!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *